Here’s my next featured travel blogger interview, with some awesome answers from Oceana Setaysha aka the Barefoot Beach Blonde, an Aussie native who spent 4 years in Bali and now lives in the UK!
HI, CAN YOU INTRODUCE YOURSELF?
1. Name: Oceana
2. Age: 22
3. Travel Blog: BarefootBeachBlonde.com
4. Twitter: @BarefootBeachB
5. Home Town: Darwin, Australia
6. Current Location: England, UK
7. Tell us a bit about where you are at the moment and what you’re doing there:
At the moment I’m living in the UK with my boyfriend as we madly save for our next bout of travel. I’ve just started a two year English working visa tho so it looks like European destinations are on the cards.
8. First ever travel experience:
I went to Bali, Indonesia with my parents with I was 10 months old and actually learned to walk there! I guess I was lucky I got started so early with my itchy feet.
9. Where’s next in your travel plans?:
There’s lots of grand plans happening in the future to be sure, seeing as I’m on this side of the world I think that Europe and the United Kingdom are for sure, but the Americas may well be on the cards. I’m really terrible at planning ahead!
10. Give me the top 3 places you’ve visited and why:
– Hoi An in Vietnam because I loved the antique feel of Old Town and all the beautiful lanterns
– Ayutthaya in Thailand because it was this amazing and I think widely underrated spot perfect for temple trekking
– Gili Islands in Indonesia because to me that place is my perfect Asian island paradise, cheap and absolutely gorgeous.
11. What 5 countries do you want to visit that you haven’t yet been to?:
- New Zealand
- United States Of America
- Solomon Islands
- Various South America countries
12. If you could avoid going anywhere where would it be and why?
I’d probably avoid anywhere with masses of people, like an overcrowded city or event. But saying that I am willing to try anything once.
13. What are your top 5 travelling items?
- Cameras (I have a few)
- Laptop (for blogging)
- More Money (isn’t that always the case)
14. Best bit of advice you’ve ever been given:
Do what you want because those who matter don’t mind and those who mind don’t matter!
15. Worst advice?
You can’t travel forever, you should settle down before it’s too late.
16. What do you miss most when you’re travelling?
Despite my wandering ways, I always miss my family when I’m on the road and make a point to head back and see them as often as I can.
NOW FOR THE RANDOM QUESTIONS
17. Hostel, Hotel or other:
I really love homestays (as in renting a room in someones house). They’re quite popular in Asia, especially when people have compound houses. I think it’s a great way to get right in the middle of the local culture.
18. Favourite food from another country:
My favourite is Nasi Campur an Indonesian dish with rice and various meats and veggies on top. It really is different everywhere!
19. Favourite mode of transport (plane, train, bus, tuk tuk etc):
I love walking, even though it takes longer. It’s just not the same looking out a window.
20. Guilty pleasure?
Dark chocolate. Everytime I travel I tell myself I’ll eat local sweets instead because dark chocolate can be so expensive, but nothing compares.
21. Best travel app?
Any currency converter, I am a totally useless math brain!
22. Favourite travelling soundtrack/What are you listening to at the moment?
When I’m walking about with a purpose I always listen to movie soundtracks, like Lord of the Rings which my boyfriend got me on to. It’s funny because usually I listen to really chilled out acoustic music!
23. Favourite travel movie?
I don’t know if it counts but that Disney movie UP was a great travel movie. I liked the idea that it’s never too late to follow your dreams.
24. Favourite travel book?
Too many choices! I read like a crazy person, and in the end I think most books are about travel in some form or another.
25. Thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions. Now please take a few lines to tell everyone about your website…
My name is Oceana and I run Barefoot Beach Blonde, a travel website with a focus on good old budget travel, and a passion for presenting destinations in a new way. I’ve just finished a trek through South East Asia, so there’s a ton of great travel advice up there now, and there’s more to come. Otherwise expect good stories and great inspiration for your own travel adventures.
Thanks for taking part in my interview Oceana….happy travels!