All in all, we spent a total of only 5 days in Cambodia, visiting just Phnom Penh and Siem Reap…however I think these were some of my favourite days in the last month of traveling. The Cambodian people are so lovely and kind, and there is a general relaxed feeling of happiness in the country. One day I would like to go back and see more of it, but for now, here are my top 10’s:
1. Go to Angkor Wat for sunrise…just make sure to check the weather before you go so that you know it’ll be a cloud-free day (and therefore with a beautiful sunrise).
2. Walk around Phnom Penh, visiting the Independence Monument and Palace.
3. Eat or drink at any of the restaurants along the riverfront in Phnom Penh.
4. Party at Angkor What? Bar in Siem Reap…buy a bucket, get a free t-shirt.
5. Take a trip to the Killing Fields and Genocide Museum…together they tell the incredibly harrowing tale of the mass murder that occurred all over Cambodia not too long ago.
6. Get a tuk tuk to take you around all the other Temples and sights that Angkor Wat has to offer.
7. Stay at Sunday Guesthouse in Phnom Penh…it’s a lovely little family run place, in a great location.
8. Head to the Sorya Shopping Centre and go up to the Cineplex to see any number of newly released western films (and for only $4 each!).
9. Stay at the King Angkor Villa in Phnom Penh…it’s in an excellent location and includes breakfast, which is amazing when you’re only paying $2.50 per night!
10. Make merit at Angkor Wat…by giving money or food to the monks you are guaranteeing that in y next life you will never go hungry.