I’ve been to LA a couple of times now, and it’s still one of my favourite places. I love the smiley, happy people, the shops, the beach, the chilled-out atmosphere, and most of all, I LOVE the sunshine! Here are my personal top tips for how to get the best out of this great city:
1. Rent a car. Last time I went I had to walk or use public transport…neither of which are particularly advisable, unless you have heaps of time on your hands and don’t mind a lengthy journey.
2. Walk down Third Street Promenade and do a bit of shopping, stop for coffee or food, or even catch a movie. Whatever you feel like, the Promenade has it all.
3. Rent a bicycle from Venice Boardwalk and ride the cycle path along the two mile stretch of beach all the way to Santa Monica. Or go south and see how far the path will take you.
4. Go (window) shopping on Rodeo Drive.
5. Walk along Venice Boardwalk. Or just stop somewhere, sit on the grass and people watch…it’s fascinating.
6. Go to Hollywood and the Kodak Theatre, where you can see the hand prints of the stars.
7. Get that classic photograph of the Hollywood sign. Go on, you know you want to. If you’re energetic enough, you can even hike up there and see how big those letters really are!
8. Go to the fairground on Santa Monica Pier, or if rides aren’t your thing, they do some fantastic candy-floss.
9. Visit the Warner Bros studios, often thought to be secondary to the more popular Universal Studios, but for the real TV and film fans, WB is the place to be!
10. Go downtown. Just once. See what it’s about. Then leave and don’t go back unless you have to. Stick to the west side of town…after all, you’re there to enjoy yourself, and what better way to do that than lie on the beach in the sunshine all day?!