I had over a week to explore one of the greatest cities in the world, so I got a chance to see and do pretty much everything. If you’re heading to New York and can’t work out what to do first, or if you’ve only got a few days in the city, here are my top tips to start you off.
1. Be a tourist. If it’s your first visit and you want to see all the sights NYC is renowned for, don’t be ashamed to actually look and act like a tourist. Carry your camera around your neck, get your map out at every corner, and get lost on the subway…it’s a right of passage.
2. Go up the Empire State Building in time to see the sunset. I’m sure it’s just as lovely during the day, but the views I got over the city at night, when everything was lit up for miles and miles, were like nothing I’d ever seen before
3. Walk around Central Park for hours. If it’s summer, take a picnic and sit on the grass. If you’re there in the winter, have a go at ice skating on the rink set up in the middle of the park.
4. Visit the Apple Store on 5th Avenue. Even if you’re not an apple geek like me, it’s an incredible feat of architecture.
5. Go to ALL of the museums and feel inspired – The Guggenheim, MOMA, The Museum of Natural History, The Metropolitan Museum…the list goes on. Maybe space them out over a few days, you don’t want to feel over-cultured!
6. See a concert or catch a ball game at Madison Square Gardens, something I never got to do but always wished I had.
7. Go shopping in one of the HUGE department stores…Barney’s or Macy’s or Sak’s 5th Avenue, depending on your funds.
8. Get the ferry over to Ellis Island and see the Statue of Liberty up close and personal.
9. Go to Grand Central Station, stand in the center of the enormous building and look up to the ceiling. Trust me, it’s an incredible sight.
10. Walk across Brooklyn Bridge and see the city from another angle.