I went to Paris last September with a friend to see a band called Stars…we stayed for about 4 days and packed A LOT into that short time. This is a list of things we did, and my top tips for how to get the best out of your time in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
1. Walk Everywhere. Your feet will hurt and by the end of the day all you’ll want to do is sit down, but trust me, walking around is the best way to really immerse yourself in the city and see all it has to offer.
2. Stay at the Peace & Love Hostel in northern Paris (10 minute from Gare du Nord). While not the most glamorous of places, it’s relatively clean and tidy, there’s restaurants and shops nearby, free wi-fi, the subway is across the road, and if you get a room on one of the upper floors, the views are spectacular. Oh and the bar downstairs is awesome! I met some great people here.
3. Go up the Eiffel tower. Clichéd I know, but well worth the views when you get to the top.
4. Visit the Louvre at night…when you come out of the museum and it’s all lit up, there’s something really magical about it.
5. Ride the Metro…it’s quite unlike any other subway system I’ve ever used, especially at rush hour…people literally jump in, even when there’s no space…they’d climb through the windows if they could!
6. Eat breakfast at a little café somewhere…anywhere will do…just sit and soak up some of that Frenchness.
7. Rent the Vélib’ bicycles and ride around the city…or try at least – there’s quite a large deposit and the machines wouldn’t take our cards but maybe you’ll have more luck?!
8. Go see Notre Dame…you don’t have to go in, unless that’s your kind of thing, but go see the outside of it at least…it’s quite something.
9. Walk along the Seine. Or go on a boat tour…it’s a great way to get your bearings and you’ll see things you wouldn’t otherwise have even thought about.
10. Don’t go to Disneyland.