Up next in my Featured Travel Blogger series is La Carmina, a 20-something female travel TV host, blogger and author, originally from Canada but who now travels all over the world for her own travel series.
HI, CAN YOU INTRODUCE YOURSELF?
1. Name: La Carmina
2. Age: 20s
3. Travel Blog: La Carmina blog
4. Twitter: @lacarmina
5. Home Town: Vancouver, BC
6. Current Location: Toronto, Ontario
7. Tell us a bit about where you are at the moment and what you’re doing there:
I’m currently in Toronto for some TV business meetings, and to do travel reports about the city’s alternative culture – including the vintage shopping scene, Goth Industrial EBM clubs, underground bands and artists. I also modeled Gothic Lolita and Victorian fashion by local designer Gloomth, in a historic downtown hotel.
8. First ever travel experience:
Flying at the age of one, to Hong Kong. I have relatives there, and have travelled to HK over two dozen times since.
9. Where’s next in your travel plans?:
I will be announcing my next destinations for May and June very soon – please keep your eyes peeled on my site to find out where I’m going!
10. Give me the top 3 places you’ve visited and why:
It’s difficult to name a top 3, but some of the most magnificent places I’ve visited are the Maldives (untouched beaches, Treasure Island paradise), Tokyo (for the mind-bending pop culture and street style) and Budapest (hip music festivals and nightlife).
11. What 5 countries do you want to visit that you haven’t yet been to?:
Egypt, Morocco, Turkey, Brazil, Chile (especially Easter Island)… hopefully soon, there are plans in the works!
12. If you could avoid going anywhere where would it be and why?
Any war-torn region, or place infested by mosquitoes as I’m highly allergic.
13. What are your top 5 travelling items?
iPhone, sunscreen, sunglasses, wallet with ID and money, DSLR camera.
14. Best bit of advice you’ve ever been given:
Be grateful and present. Traveling is a privilege, and a way to open up your life – so make the most of it.
15. Worst advice?
“Take a dirt cheap Chinese bus tour through obscure towns in mainland China, and eat questionable street food along the way!”, said a relative. Thankfully, I didn’t follow her advice.
16. What do you miss most when you’re travelling?
My Scottish fold kitten, Basil Farrow. He’s a cream-colored, earless ball of love. You can see photos on his cat blog, http://www.lacarmina.com/basilfarrow
NOW FOR THE RANDOM QUESTIONS
17. Hostel, Hotel or other: Hotel, or a short-term apartment rental.
18. Favourite food from another country: Hard to pick one, but I adore Japanese curry and sushi.
19. Favourite mode of transport (plane, train, bus, tuk tuk etc): Flying on a Middle Eastern airline, ideally in first class.
20. Guilty pleasure? Playing Mario games on my Wii U.
21. Best travel app? Google Maps can get you out of a bind.
22. Favourite travelling soundtrack/What are you listening to at the moment? I love getting ready in the morning to an 80s Hi-NRG or Italo Disco mix.
23. Favourite travel movie? “The Pirates! Band of Misfits.” It reminds me of my TV fixing and hosting company, La Carmina & The Pirates (http://www.lacarmina.com/pirates). We’ve arranged and presented shows for Discovery Channel, National Geographic, Food Network, Travel Channel and more.
24. Favourite travel book? Narcissus and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse. Can’t stop thinking about it.
25. Thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions. Now please take a few lines to tell everyone about your website…
I started my La Carmina blog on a whim, to express my love for alternative culture and fashion worldwide. Today, it’s become my career – I travel at least once a month to global destinations, usually with my professional travel film crew. Instead of the usual landmarks and museums, we capture first-hand visuals and stories about Day of the Dead in Mexico, drag queens in the Middle East, cyberpunks in Prague, and more. I also appear regularly on travel TV shows as a host and production arranger (perhaps you’ve seen me on Today Show, Oddities, The Doctors, Andrew Zimmern’s Bizarre Foods) and work as a travel journalist for publications like Sunday Times UK. I hope you enjoy my travel videos and adventures – please keep in touch, you can always find me by googling “La Carmina”!
Thanks so much La Carmina…some fantastic answers! Happy travels!
If you’re a travel blogger and would like to be featured next in this travel blogger interview series, please get in touch!