I know, I know. I still haven’t actually written a proper update about anything I did or where I went for my 3 weeks of travelling after I left School of the World back in October. It’s coming, I promise. It’s just one of those posts that is going to have so much information in it that it makes my brain hurt just to think about writing it! I’ll get there.
But in the mean time, here’s a list of 10 things that I did and really enjoyed when I visited Bocas del Toro in Panama – I’d highly recommend making the journey!
1. Stay at Hostel Hansi when visiting Bocas Town on Isla Colón. It’s more like a hotel really, with large, clean, well thought-out out rooms, a great kitchen and wonderful people.
2. Spend at least a night on Isla Bastimentos. It’s the complete opposite to the bustling town of Bocas, with just a few hostels and restaurants along the entirely pedestrianised walkway that runs through the ‘village’. It’s quiet, peaceful and tiny.
3. Eat and drink at Bocas Bambu restaurant and enjoy the awesome fireshow that is put on every single evening. Amazing.
4. Go snorkeling at Coral Cay, one of the most incredible island reefs I’ve ever seen.
5. Take the bus across Isla Colón and then walk along the water until you reach starfish Beach. You’ll know when you get there… the starfish are an obvious giveaway!
6. Spend an afternoon just wandering through Bocas town, from top to bottom and back again, scouting out all the awesome bars, restaurants and shops, and marvelling at the Caribbean beauty of all the buildings.
7. Get someone to take you to Zapatilla Island. It’s amazing. Honestly I don’t think I’ve ever seen sand so white, and sea so blue.
8. While you’re at it, take a detour to Dolphin Bay and then sit very quietly while you wait for the dolphins to show themselves. They will, eventually.
9. Get mojitos at La Buguita Bar and enjoy the live music right by the water. Heaven
10. Take a water taxi to Red Frog Beach, a beautiful long stretch of beach with clear turquoise sea and plenty of waves to play in. Take your time on the stroll through the jungle on your way back to the dock… there’s some pretty cool wildlife in there!