Having recently spent a few days in Toronto with some friends, I thought I’d share my experiences in the form of a top 10 list of things to do if you ever venture that way, to one the greatest cities I’ve ever visited. So in no particular order…
1. Take a trip up the CN Tower, one of the world’s tallest buildings. The views are impressive, I promise.
2. Go to a Baseball game – Blue Jays vs. anyone. Tickets are cheap, beers are expensive, and a good time is had by all.
3. During the week it’s hard to find bars and clubs that are open past 1am, so sometimes a trip to a gay bar is called for, as these tend to stay open later for some reason. And to be honest, sometimes they’re just more fun.
4. You cant really go to Toronto without taking a trip to see one of the most incredible sights in the world…so hop on a bus, rent a car, do whatever, just get yourself to Niagara Falls, and definitely take a ride on the Maid of the Mist, the boat that takes you right up close and personal to the Falls.
5. Stay at HI Toronto. It’s got a great atmosphere, is central and good value for money…to find out more, here’s my review.
6. Shop at the Eaton Centre Mall. It’s huge. And had every shop you could ever want. Watch out though…your purse will take a beating!
7. Walk around. A lot. I think this is the best way to see a city and to get your bearings. Just walk. And look.
8. Visit any market or festival that might be going on. We ventured out on our last night and stumbled across the Toronto Buskerfest, an awesome little street festival/market type thing, with some great stalls and street entertainment.
9. Try Niagara’s famous Ice Wine, a Canadian speciality. Sweet and syrupy, it’ll trick you into thinking it’s not alcoholic…so watch out and pace yourself!
10. Appreciate it. Toronto is a fantastic place. Sort of like a smaller, cleaner, kinder New York City. I can’t wait to go back.