After living in the ski resort of Les Arcs in the French Alps for 3 months this winter season, I feel that I can confidently say I know the place reasonably well and want to share with you my top things to see and do if you ever find yourself in the area.
1. Take the Gondola to the very top of the Aiguille Rouge. The views from up there (over 3000m above sea level) are just something spectacular.
2. Go ice skating or go-karting on the naturally formed ice rink up in Arc 2000. But hurry…the ice rink disappears around the beginning of April!
3. Sledge down the slopes from up in Arc 2000 down past Arc 1950 and beyond. Just be careful if you’re doing it the dark…you don’t want to fly off an edge and into a car park like I did!
4. Play around in the Snowpark (located just above the Arpette Restaurant on the way down to either Arcs 16- or 1800 from the top)…and definitely try out the airbag, if you can manage to get a turn!
5. Spend a night out trying all the bars in whichever Arc you are staying in (1600, 1800, 1950 or 2000)…having lived in 2000 myself, I would suggest going to the usual haunts – those being Whistler’s Dream Bar, Bowling Bar and finally Latino’s.
6. Get a pizza from Whistler’s Dream Bar. Yum.
7. Go Parapenting. This is when you run/ski off the top of a mountain strapped to a parachute (and someone else) and float around the mountaintops until you come to land and ski away. Yes this is an activity where you don’t even take your skis off!
8. If you’re trying to choose somewhere to stay…definitely head for Arc 1950. It’s like a winter wonderland at Christmas time, with fairy lights up all winter long. And I’d definitely recommend the Manoir de Savoie Hotel for a comfortable and luxurious stay.
9. Go Husky sledding. I actually never got the chance to do this, but it was something I wanted to do all season long. And the dogs are just so adorable!
10. If you don’t know how to ski or snowboard or you just want to brush up on your skills, don’t feel ashamed to ask for help and have a lesson or two. The ski school I recommend is Spirit 1950, who are fantastic and always very happy to accommodate your every need.