I’ve done it before, and I’m sure I’ll do it again, but having only 24 hours to explore any city is always a bit crazy, let alone in a city like Amsterdam! I took the 45 minute flight over to the Netherlands last week for a whirlwind visit to the city that was hosting the UEFA Europa League Final between Chelsea and Benfica that evening. Yes that game was the main purpose of my trip, but there were definitely other reasons why I wanted to be there. I’m jetting off to America for the summer and then Australia for I-don’t-know-how-long, and there’s still so much of Europe that I haven’t seen, so this was the perfect opportunity to get some super speedy sightseeing done around a city I’ve heard so much about. At least that was the plan…
Unfortunately, upon arrival in this beautiful city, I really wasn’t feeling too good. I don’t know if it was the early morning start, the lack of food or the bumpy plane ride, but all I wanted to do was go and lie down in a dark room and sleep forever. We did have a quick wander around the newly renovated Rijks Museum and saw Rembrandt’s famous ‘Night Watch‘, but I just felt so rough that my day of sightseeing came to a screeching halt and I was pretty much bed bound until the evening. By then I felt a little better and managed to drag myself to the Amsterdam ArenA Stadium for what was possibly the most exciting football match I’ve ever had the pleasure of watching. So the trip wasn’t a total waste.
I’d definitely like to go back to Amsterdam one day and see all the things and places I meant to see this time, but for now I’ll leave you with my Amsterdam to do list for the future:
1. Actually spend a proper amount of time at the Rijks Museum, wander around slowly and really take in all it has to offer.
2. Go on a boat tour around the city.
3. Visit Anne Frank’s house.
4. Walk around and lose yourself in the maze of canals.
5. Rent a bike and cycle around the city.
6. Visit Vondelpark for a picnic on a sunny day.
7. Have a rummage through some of the famous flea markets.
8. Spend a day cafe hopping. And then an evening bar hopping.