Here’s the second installment on my new Featured Travel Blogger series in which I ask all my favourite travel bloggers to answer a few questions about themselves and their travel experiences, trying to find out what makes them tick (and travel the world)!
Here’s some answers from Jessica over at The Fly Away American!
HI, CAN YOU INTRODUCE YOURSELF?
1. Name: Jessica
2. Age: 27
3. Travel Blog: The Fly Away American
4. Twitter: @flyawayamerican
5. Home Town: Sadler, Texas
6. Current Location: Folkestone, England
7. Tell us a bit about where you are at the moment and what you’re doing there:
I am currently living in a small seaside town on the coast of England with my husband and daughter. We relocated here from The Netherlands for a work opportunity, and absolutely love it.
8. First ever travel experience:
My family did a lot of typical American road trips growing up, mixed with a lot of camping. I would say the first experience that actually ignited something within me was a trip to San Francisco when I was 16. I was blown away walking through Chinatown and it became the catalyst for my entire life. I studied Asian Studies at University, studied abroad in China, and fell in love with the world after that trip.
9. Where’s next in your travel plans?:
The Netherlands in January, USA in May, and China, Mt. Everest, and Nepal next summer. Hopefully a few new places in-between.
10. Give me the top 3 places you’ve visited and why?
1. Beijing, China- I am convinced if there are such things as a past life, I was Chinese in my last one. I love everything about China, and the history in Beijing makes me ecstatically happy. My trip there during Chinese New Year was one of the most spectacular experiences I ever had.
2. Buffalo, New York- This one may seem odd, but I have an unhealthy obsession with this city. It was the first place I ‘escaped’ to when I left Texas, and it remains very close to my heart. The snowy winters, amazing people, and ability to visit Niagara Falls anytime you please… it should really be on the top of everybody’s list.
3. Norway. It may be because this one is fresh on my mind (I got back a couple days ago) but Norway has to be the most beautiful country I have ever seen. I took the train from Oslo to Bergen and it was absolutely incredible passing through these tiny mountain towns, covered in snow, so isolated from everything. I will be back soon for sure!
11. What 5 countries do you want to visit that you haven’t yet been to?:
Bhutan, North Korea, Japan, Columbia, and Mongolia.
12. If you could avoid going anywhere where would it be and why?
Florida. I am so sick of meeting people in England who tell me they have been to America x-amount of times, only to find out the only place they ever visited was Disney World in Orlando. I’m swearing off Florida out of principal, which is a shame because I have had lovely trips there.
13. What are your top 5 travelling items?
Tylenol, really good instant coffee, camera, laptop, flip-flops
14. Best bit of advice you’ve ever been given:
Not to listen to other people’s advice.
15. Worst advice?
The same- that has gotten me into some trouble 😉
16. What do you miss most when you’re travelling?
A constant internet connection. (Pathetic, I know)
NOW FOR THE RANDOM QUESTIONS
17. Hostel, Hotel or other:
Hotel when I travel with my family, hostel when I am by myself
18. Favourite food from another country:
Biscuits and Gravy. I know that is American, but since I don’t live there it is technically another country.
19. Favourite mode of transport (plane, train, bus, tuk tuk etc):
20. Guilty pleasure?
21. Best travel app?
Google Maps 🙂
22. Favourite travelling soundtrack/What are you listening to at the moment?
I listen to the best of the 90’s on repeat.
23. Favourite travel movie?
Y Tu Mama Tambien
24. Favourite travel book?
I am currently reading ‘To a Mountain in Tibet’ by Colin Thubron- so far it is my favorite travel book to date.
25. Thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions. Now please take a few lines to tell everyone about your website…
life abroad (currently England) and my travels along the way. I would love for you to follow along on Twitter and Facebook. Feel free to come over and find out a bit more about me. Leave a comment and let me know you stopped by!
Thanks Jessica! You can find Jessica at all of the links above. Go check her out!