If you follow me on social media, you’ll know that I just spent 5 weeks exploring Costa Rica and Panama, and loved every single minute of it. I think Costa Rica is my new favourite country, and you should all go there right now! There will be plenty of posts in the coming weeks all about these two wonderful countries and what I got up to on my travels, but first, here are some random things I noticed about Costa Rica.
1. Transport is really expensive, unless you go by local bus, which is really confusing and super time consuming.
2. The people are some of the friendliest I’ve met around the world.
3. It rains a LOT in October, mostly in the evenings.
4. When the men whistle at you from their cars, it’s not as pervy and gross as it is in England. They’re just appreciating your beauty and saying hi (especially if you are blonde).
5. Bananas and coconuts are everywhere and really cheap, but apples and grapes are crazy expensive. So worth it though, because absolutely everything in Costa Rica is organic.
6. Eating at restaurants costs a lot (especially when they add that sneaky 13% tax). Go to grocery stores and cook for yourself when you can, it’ll save you a fortune.
7. A Soda is a typical family-run restaurant that you will find in every town, but they don’t all serve the same food. Some have Costa Rican tico food for dirt cheap, whilst others have moved towards more westernised food, for which they charge a lot.
8. Every surfer in the water wants to help you learn and improve, whether they are your instructor or not. Also, the waves are great all year round.
9. No one wears shoes. Ever. Especially in the beach towns.
10. Although most places are quite geared towards and ready for tourists, nothing feels too touristy, with all the locals just going about their daily lives.
11. They don’t use washing up liquid, but instead have a tub of solid soap stuff that you wipe the sponge across. Very strange.
12. It’s really easy to do absolutely nothing and just spend your days chilling out, running your life on ‘Costa Rican time‘.